Google is not just another search engine, which makes the information universally accessible to all. There are a lot on Â interesting facts Â about Google, which makes this search engine brilliant.
Here are some Interesting Facts about Google
1. Google got its name accidentally, Google’s name is a play on the word googol, which refers to the number 1 followed by one hundred zeroes. The term was coined by Milton Sirotta, nephew of American Â mathematician Â Edward Kasner, and was popularized in the book, “Mathematics Â and the Imagination” by Kasner and James Newman. Google’s play on the term reflects the company’s mission to organize the immense amount of information available on the web. Also the company that gave them their first Paycheck spelled it incorrectly and hence they had to register on the name which then went on to become ‘Google’
2. Google started as a research project at Stanford University, created by Ph.D. candidates Larry Page and Sergey Brin when they were 24 years old and 23 years old respectivel
3. Google home page is so bare is due to the fact that the founders didn’t know HTML
4. Google consists of over 450,000 servers, racked up in Â clusters Â located in data centers around the world
5. The Google search engine receives about a Â billion Â search requests per day.
6. Google receives daily search requests from all over the world, including Antarctica.
7. Google’s Home Page Has 63 Validation Errors. Don’t believe me?: Â Check Google Validation
8. Number of languages in which you can have the Google home page set up, including Urdu, Latin and Klingon: 88
9. Google employees are encouraged to use 20% of their time working on their own projects. Google News, Orkut are both examples of projects that grew from this Â working model.
10. Google’s index of web pages is the largest in the world, comprising of billions of web pages. Google searches this immense collection of web pages often in less than half a second.
11. They use the 20% / 5% rules. If at least 20% of people use a feature, then it will be included. At least 5% of people need to use a particular search preference before it will make it into the Advanced Preferences’.
12. Google earns around 20 million dollars per day Â from Adwords alone.
13 .There are no restrictions on Googler’s dress code in the office, in which pajama, ugly sweater and even super hero costume were on the records.
14. Google Â indexes more than 3 Â billion Â webpages .
15. Google just takes 0.5 seconds to Â search from Â its arge database of billions of records .
Controversial facts about Google
16. Â For all searches Google Â record the cookie ID, your Internet IP address, the time and date, your search terms, and your browser configuration. Increasingly, Google is customizing results based on your IP number. This is referred to in the industry as “IP delivery based on geolocation.”
17. Google has no data retention policies. There is evidence that they are able to easily access all the user information they collect and save.
19 Google indexes everything about a Â website Â ,. even some passwords Â files . That’s why it is considered as a useful tool by hackers
20 Google always leaves a cookie on your hard drive . Which is used to gather information about you .