Kim Dotcom launches a new Privacy File Sharing website Mega, offers 50GB free space

Kim Dotcom, the Megaupload founder has launched a new Privacy File-sharing website Mega on Sunday 20th January 2013, it enables users with various privacy levels to defer the prosecutions Kim has been help for keep in account the Megaupload shutdown case by US prosecutor.

mega-launch-2013

Mega was announced in a press-conference at his New Zealand mansion on the anniversary of his arrest related to not-shut-down- Megaupload, which he started in 2005, which was one of the most popular file-sharing website until it was Shut down by US prosecutors accusing Dotcom of facilitating millions of illegal file downloads.

“As of this minute one year ago (hash)Megaupload was destroyed by the US Government. Welcome to http://Mega.co.nz,” Dotcom tweeted as the new site went live.

Within hours, Dotcom wrote, Mega had received 250,000 user registrations.

Later tweeted, “Site is still overloaded. Massive demand. Incredible. I am so happy. Thank you for using ?#Mega.” Dotcom tweeted at 1pm CST.”

Mega offers storing large files and allows upto 50 GB of free storage on its server much higher than big guns like Dropbox and Google Drive in the similar space.

 

“In the dark ages … the enemies of progress burned books,” Dotcom said last week at an Auckland ice cream shop, where he handed out ice cream cups, some bearing Willy Wonka-style golden tickets to his launch party. “And now today they are burning websites. And Mega is going to be the website that is going to end all of that.”

“What he’s trying to do is give himself a second-string argument: ‘Even if I was wrong before, this one’s all right because how can I control something if I don’t know that it’s there?’” said Sydney attorney Charles Alexander, who specializes in intellectual property law. “I can understand the argument; whether it would be successful or not is another matter.”

S prosecutors declined to comment on the new site, referring only to a court document that cites several promises Dotcom made while seeking bail that he would not — and could not — start a Megaupload-style business until the criminal case was resolved.

“I can assure the Court that I have no intention and there is no risk of my reactivating the Megaupload.com website or establishing a similar Internet-based business during the period until the resolution of the extradition proceedings,” Dotcom said in a 15 February, 2012, affidavit.

The Motion Picture Association of America, which filed complaints about alleged copyright infringement by Megaupload, was not impressed.

“We are still reviewing how this new project will operate, but we do know that Kim Dotcom has built his career and his fortune on stealing creative works,” the MPAA said in a statement. “We’ll reserve final judgment until we have a chance to take a closer look, but given Kim Dotcom’s history of damaging the consumer experience by pushing stolen, illegitimate content into the marketplace, count us as skeptical.”

Still, as much as Dotcom’s new venture might enrage prosecutors and entertainment executives, it shouldn’t have any impact on the Megaupload case.

“All it might do is annoy them enough to say, ‘We’re going to redouble our efforts in prosecuting them’,” said Alexander, the attorney. “But I don’t think it makes any practical difference to the outcome.”

-Quoted in AP

Come on go ahead and give it a shot, Mega, tell us what you think.

The DNetWorks Team