We just wrote a article about how to go about Install WordPress on a Windows Box Locally. And here we are again to help all you people having a Mac or Linux OS.
Without wasting more time lets get things done.
Here are the steps to Install WordPress Locally on a Mac or a Linux
- Install a local server (Mac: MAMP, Â PC:XAMPP or Â WAMP).
- Create a new database.
- Download WordPress from Â WordPress.org and extract the files to a new folder under the Â htdocs folder.
- Rename the Â wp-config-sample.php file to Â wp-config.php and update the database details according to your local server.
- Run Â wp-admin/Install.php and follow the instructions to install WordPress.
Before you start, let’s look at the requirements to run WordPress:
- php 4.3+
- MySQL 4+ Database Server
1. Install a Local Server
I’m using Mac here, so I’m going to install MAMP. Go to Â mamp.info, download and install MAMP.
2. Create a New Database
After you’ve installed MAMP, run it and it should take you to the start page. Now click on phpMyAdmin. In the phpMyAdmin page, create a new database (eg. Â WordPress).
3. Download WordPress
Go to Â WordPress.org and download the latest build of WordPress. Go to the Â htdocs folder (where you installed the MAMP), extract the wordpress.zip to a new folder (eg. Â mysite).
4. Update wp–config.php File
In the folder, rename the Â wp-config-sample.php to Â wp-config.php. Open Â wp-config.php and update the database details (db_name, user, password, host) according to your local server.
5. Run install.php
With your browser, go to Â http://localhost:8888/mysite/wp-admin/Install.php and follow the instructions to install WordPress.