How To Handle Magento Installation On Local Host XAMP And WAMP
The community edition of Magento is considered as the best open source e-commerce software. You can also download it without any cost. The interior code can be modified by the developers.
At the same time, the developers can also add additional functions and features by installing various extensions from Magneto Connect Marketplace. The community edition is used by several businesses in order to run the online store. They are also able to access their individual Magento experts. This is due to the fact that the technical support is not provided by Magento for this type of software.
A lot of small sized businesses want to use the technical support, along with the comprehensive features. In that case, they should consider the Magento Go solution. On the other hand, the large and medium scale companies that require additional features support and the best performance must consider the Magento Enterprise Edition.
Need to install Magento
Magento is an e-commerce open source platform that has various options and features. If you want to explore the features, then you need to install Magento on the local host (WAMP or XAMP).
The process of handling Magento can be quite difficult. In fact, it is quite complicated as compared to different e-commerce platform. Due to this reason, it is essential to follow various steps for handling and installing Magento on the local host. You will also be ale to get the error free test store of Magento.
Steps to follow
- First of all, you need to download the latest version of Magento from the website www.magentocommerce.com/download.
- You need to create a database on the phpmyadmin interface of WAMP server.
- After downloading the zip package of Stable pack, you need to extract it into the local folder of your desktop. After that, move the Magento folder in /wamp/www/ so that you can access it at http://localhost/magento/.
- Enter http://localhost/magento/ on the browser. You will be able to see the browser installation Wizard. You need to proceed with the option without making any type of changes in the Wizard option.
- You need to enter all the details in the database. It will take some time as this step will store all the tables in your database. So, do not click on anything until the subsequent step is shown on the screen.
- You can complete the process by entering the details of the database.
- After that, you can test the Magento store on your browser.
Installing Magento on the local host server
A lot of people want to install Magneto on the local host for the development purposes with the help of XAMP or WAMP. If you are one of them, then you may face a problem of Domain/URL validation that will stop the progress of the installation process. It happens because local host is used as a domain. You need to consider certain aspects hat will help to install Magneto on the local host server.
You will get an error message while trying to install the e-commerce platform, Magento, on the PC that is running XAMP, WAMP etc. The error occurs since the domain name is validated by Magento, and Magento is installed under this domain name. If you are using your domain as http://localhost, then Magento will stop the progress of the entire installation process.
It can be quite irritating for many people due to which they do not want to install this e-commerce platform on their desktops. You need to follow certain steps in order to avoid this installation error. In that way, you can install Magento successfully on the local host.
Steps for avoiding installation error
- Open the folder of Magento, and check the directory /js/protype.
- You need to open the file validation .js in the text editor.
- You will have to look for a code between the lines 505 to 507.
- You need to type // before the codes. It will disable the code lines, and it will also check the suitable domain name before the Magento installation.
- After that, you need to install Magento on the local host. After the installation is complete, the validation file .js needs to be reverted to the original code.
By following the above mentioned steps, you will be able to install Magento e-commerce platform on your XAMP, WAMP. At the same time, you will also be able to install it on your personal computer and company server.
Installation of Magento on XAMPP
The popularity and use of e-commerce solutions is rapidly increasing day by day. Magento is considered as one of the powerful and largest e-commerce open source platform. It is a software package with the help of which a user will be able to setup their online store. The process of installing this platform can be quite difficult. However, it is considered as one of the best options if you are in search of a specialized e-commerce solution.
If you are a designer, then you can consider exploring the possibility of developing suitable themes for Magento. The installation process of Magento can be quite daunting unlike the WordPress installation on XAMPP. It can also be intimidating for those designers, who want to develop the themes.
The installation of WordPress takes a small amount of time. On the other hand, the installation of Magento will require you to spend a lot of effort and time.
For installing Magento on XAMPP, you need to install the latest and advanced version of XAMPP, which is 1.8.1. The community edition of Magento needs to be downloaded. The community edition is supported the designers, community developers and users.
Also if you want to get Magento Installed on your Local Computer or your Web Server be a Cloud server or a regular server you can get in touch
About the Author: Sabrina
Sabrina is a web designer who works in a reputed web design firm in London. She is experienced enough in Magento and knows well about how to use various Magento extensions for delivering high quality web designs to her clients. You may know more about her at her blog where she writes on web design and Magento.